The Stars My Destination

Forums for Game Night scheduling, tracking and discussion (formerly for players of Space Empires V: The Stars My Destination PBW game)

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Next West Side Game Night is TBD, Next East Side is TBD
Buckeye Game Fest September 21st - 24th
Waiting for some of you to reply to emails is like waiting for HPD to take his turn.

Share | 

The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RDaneel

PostSubject: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Sun 31 May 2009, 19:17

I figured I would start this thread for everyone to post their inevitable SEV frustrations, questions, how-do-yas, and WTFs for the group to try and answer. I'll start!

It's been a minute since I've played this game, since PBW1 went down, and I forgot about that thing where you can't split or merge unit groups. Hey wow, that really sucks you know? So I've done some looking around on the Interwebs and it seems like this "feature" is so deeply coded into the game that not even the modders can figure out how to change it. Whoa!

So I figure I'll throw it out to our veteran gang to see if there's just some button someplace I'm missing that I could press to figure out how to split a group into say, two groups. Or take two groups of units and merge them into say one group. In space.

The only technique I have figured out thus far to accomplish this seemingly obvious and simple task is to recover ALL units from space to a planet (or a ship), consuming one turn, launch the specific units I want in the first group, consuming a second turn, move the first group away from the planet, consuming a third turn, and launch the specific units I want in the second group, consuming a ridiculous FOUR TURNS!

Am I missing something here? Please say yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Mon 01 Jun 2009, 10:41

I wish I had an easy answer, but I can't see a simple solution. Just a simple "Create New Unit Group" ala the Fleet Button would be great.

The only tiny thing I would point out is that you don't need to recover the whole group, just transfer the fighters/drones you want to seperate to the cargo point (planet/ship/base) and then give the original group move orders. If you were to set the planet to continuously launch all units by using repeating orders, you should be able to launch the units without intervention and possibly shave a turn or two from the group split.

You could probably set up some complex ferry system if you wanted to launch different groups from the same planet on the same turn. Some units would launch into space a create a new group, others would transfer to mule freighters/carriers. Next turn you could move the mule into an adjecent hex and launch. That group would be a turn behind the original, but it may save you a turn or so.

In any case, this definitly would be a great feature to add in a patch. I am going to look for a Feature Request thread and make sure to add if it's not there, and second it if it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://starsmydestination.forumotion.com
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Mon 01 Jun 2009, 11:04

Y'know, I just was thinking, you don't even have to have the planet/mule ship set to auto launch. The same turn you give the order to recover the units from the group, you also give the target the orders Launch Units Remotely, then you also give the Unit Group sequential orders to move from the sector. I'm not sure if the timing would work, but you might get 2 unit groups in 2 turns that way. I'm going to test it later. It really all depends on what gets processed first, the Recovery or the Launch.
Back to top Go down
RDaneel

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Mon 01 Jun 2009, 11:07

Yeah, if I had ships that could be used for this purpose at this stage of the game I could use the techniques you've described to shave off a couple of turns.

I discovered to my dismay that attempting to recover only part of the the group to the planet and move the rest in the same (simultaneous) turn resulted in the entire group moving and none of the units being recovered. Must be that the move order was processed first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Fri 05 Jun 2009, 11:41

So far I think I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to assign my drones to "explore"

Any tips there? Or do I have to manually move them every turn?

Thanks for your help.

Bean
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDaneel

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Fri 05 Jun 2009, 12:17

I have been having the exact same problem. I am starting to suspect it is a bug, but I don't have enough previous experience with Drones to be sure.

I think the Chin is using drones as well. Have you noticed this Chin? That if you give a drone orders to "survey system" that it ignores them and then has no orders the next turn?

I am having a lot of trouble with orders in general with this particular game. Planets ignoring orders. Orders getting process a turn late. Orders getting processed in a different sequence than expected. Etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Fri 05 Jun 2009, 12:23

Hmmm, I won't know until this turn if my "survey" orders worked or not. Not to give too much away, but I researched up my sensors pretty good so I almost scan a whole system transversing warp point to warp point. I've been using that method to reach out my tendrils as fast as possible and see what my realsitic borders are. So I'll know more soon. I haven't had any other orders problems yet.
Back to top Go down
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Mon 15 Jun 2009, 21:19

Alright, how about loading colonists onboard freighters? Tried the autoload feature, wasn't working... tried doing it without moving, no luck... now I'm to manually loading it like freight 10million at a time.

ARGHH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Mon 15 Jun 2009, 21:34

I use to know how many pop equaled a kt. Once you figure it out, you just load it all up on one turn based on what your freighter can hold and then move the next. I'm pretty sure that planet cargo transfers happen at the end of your turn, so if you give a move order in the same turn the ship will leave before the transfer starts. Maybe it makes a difference which you initiate the transfer with, planet or ship?

I'm going to have to figure it out sooner or later, because when I start shipping Noobian population to the nearest Singularity I am going to want to fit the most of that pathetic race as possible on disposable freighters.
Back to top Go down
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Mon 15 Jun 2009, 22:57

My experience was, even if the only order I gave that freighter was "load population" it still didn't work.

Back to manually loading them I go...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDaneel

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Tue 16 Jun 2009, 01:38

Are you doing "Load Cargo Remotely", Select planet, "Population"

So that your order list for the ship shows:

"Move to Sector X Coordinates Y, Load All Populations"

?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDaneel

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Tue 16 Jun 2009, 01:39

Also, I believe that 1M population weighs 12KT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Tue 16 Jun 2009, 15:08

The orders on the freighters for one turn was listed as:

Move to Sector X Coordinates Y, Load All Populations

and then on another turn, I tried

Load All Populations, Move to Sector X Coordinates Y

neither appeared to work. (well the freighter moved, but didn't have anything onboard).

Ah well, so much for automation. But also, I am still using 1.77, so it's possible you guys have a bug fixed I don't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
randallw

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Tue 16 Jun 2009, 20:47

Will the turn work if you're using an old version?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 09:02

It seems to work fine since the plr file everyone submits really only has a series of orders. Since the Host machine runs 1.79, it processes his orders in the correct context. He could never run the turn as the host though.

The problems would come in for UI bugs mostly and possibly designing a ship based on stats you think are one way, but actually are different in the Host version. That really shouldn't be much of a problem since BM controls most of that. Add int he fact that I don't think anythign like that was changed in the 1.79 patch.
Back to top Go down
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Wed 17 Jun 2009, 17:25

So far I've seen some UI issues, like I don't get names on my warpgates, and some of the planets appear the wrong size on my map, but in general, I've been able to manage.

Put in my SECOND request to Direct2drive to update the patch, we'll see how far that gets me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   Tue 23 Jun 2009, 17:43

Patch is on Direct2Drive today! So I can finally get to 1.79.

I think I have figured out the "load all population" order...

I think if you select the ship, and then load cargo, click on the planet you want to load it from, and at the bottom is "load your race population" I think it will work. I've had it work with mines (oh whoops, tactic given away)... so just in case you were as frustrated by that as I was, I think it works this way.

Bean
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread   

Back to top Go down

The ubiquitous SEV question/frustration thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1