The Stars My Destination

Forums for Game Night scheduling, tracking and discussion (formerly for players of Space Empires V: The Stars My Destination PBW game)

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Next West Side Game Night is TBD, Next East Side is TBD
Buckeye Game Fest September 21st - 24th
Waiting for some of you to reply to emails is like waiting for HPD to take his turn.

Share | 

Alliances in SEV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bearclaw

PostSubject: Alliances in SEV   Wed 24 Jun 2009, 16:35

I did some checking and found an answer regarding the status of Alliances in SEV. Thought I'd let everyone know:

With 1.79, Alliances are now working just fine as long as it is a sequencial (PBW, PBEM) game. They are still broken on Simultaneous games.

Also, because of the nature of Alliances, keep in mind that it takes an EXTRA turn to get a reply from an Alliance. When a message is sent, everyone in the alliance has to agree to send a reply (1 turn), then the reply is sent (another turn). Which I right-off as the cost of a galaxy spaning buracracy.
Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 08:11

Do you know in what way they are broken?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://starsmydestination.forumotion.com
randallw

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 09:38

For a start I lost contact with him when he joined the alliance, despite the fact I can still see some of his units.

Other problems I've seen in the past was for example that the AI was inviting and dropping members or something. I'm not sure, it was very confusing the one time I was in an alliance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 10:07

Yeah, I remember the AI issue, we had a house rule in our first game that if you were going to create an Alliance, do not add AI players as they could bring in enemy players to the Alliance and cause all kind of intelligence problems (shares tech and such).

Supposedly 1.79 alleviated some of those problems, I'm just not sure which ones were. Previous to this post I was led to believe that all things were fixed.

For what it's worth, I lost contact with both of you for a turn after you created the alliance. For that turn, I could not even see the Alliance, then the next turn the Alliance showed up as a contact as I previously had a drone in one of the Alliance systems. I guees it makes sense that all contacts have to be redone after the Alliance forms as the diplomacy channels totally change. With simultaneous being as segmented as it is, maybe this is how it's supposed to work.
Back to top Go down
randallw

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 10:21

Well as I said I can see some of his mines but I have no channel to this alliance. It\'s causing me some trouble actually because in the brief time I actually had information I didn\'t take notice of what the Sethillans look like and now I can\'t remember. It\'s like a virus went through the Asuran mainframe and now none of them can remember anything about this race they used to know.

Last edited by randallw on Thu 25 Jun 2009, 10:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 10:26

I know that there are conditions when you can lose contact with an Empire and you have to reestablish by having a uninteruupted sereis of non-enemy systems between you and them AND one of your ships must meet one of their ships/planets. Maybe mines don't count as contact?
Back to top Go down
randallw

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 10:28

Well, mines are supposedly cloaked and it's only my powerful sensors that can see them, so maybe it doesn't register.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 11:51

You are right! I just remembered that cloaked units CANNOT make contact with another empire.

The "bug" question arises on why do you still see the minefield? Is it because it was previously revealed to you and now will always be visible to you, even cloaked? If new mines were added to it, would you see them also? If these mines were retrieved and then relaunched in the same spot, would they be hidden to you? Things that make you go hmmmmm...
Back to top Go down
bearclaw

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Thu 25 Jun 2009, 11:58

Apparently the biggest bug in alliances had to do with if someone was invited to join, they did not have the option to refuse to join, as only Alliance members were allowed to vote on proposals. That's fixed.

Also there was a bug that had something to do with voting. Some members couldn't vote or somethingorother. That bug is what still remains in simultaneous games only.

That's interesting about loosing contact as I can still send messages to others within or without the Alliance. That should be corrected as I've proposed a message to everyone we've got comm channels for. Should come to you next turn if Praxis approves them too.

I've been looking forward to playing in an Alliance since SEV came out. This should be interesting. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDaneel

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Mon 29 Jun 2009, 15:30

I notice that the alliance in question has an AI race for a member. This is extremely dangerous to the player members of that alliance. If the voting bug is still in effect, then that means the AI race will be able to pass any arbitrary resolution regardless of how the player members vote. The voting bug was what didn't tally votes properly and all resolutions that even one member voted FOR would always PASS.

Losing contact with the races in the alliance is expected behavior since the new alliance is treated as a NEW RACE and all previous treaties and comm channels are lost when the original races join the alliance. The fact that you can see the cloaked mines just means that you have tachyon scanners on your ships... a fact I will make a note of.

And as Joe has previously mentioned, cloaked units can't establish a communication channel. So you will need to take your ship to within sensor range of a non-cloaked unit or planet controlled by any one of the alliance member empires.

I think we should establish the (house) rule that alliances either should not be used at all, or that AI members should not be allowed to be part of a player alliance. Otherwise, things are just going to get goofy again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bearclaw

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Mon 29 Jun 2009, 15:37

You see an AI as a member?? That's odd.. should be just the 2 of us. No AI's.
When i look at our alliance I just see the 2 of us with no AI's...

Maybe they are still broken...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Mon 29 Jun 2009, 15:46

The last time I looked at the Alliance it only had 2 members (he he, you two are members), I'll have to check this turn and see if it has changed from my end.
Back to top Go down
RDaneel

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   Mon 29 Jun 2009, 15:47

That is very strange. Up until this turn (turn 26) when I looked at your alliance it showed the AI race Drushocka as a member race. But now I look at it and they are not showing as a member race.

Never mind. As you were. Carry on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alliances in SEV   

Back to top Go down

Alliances in SEV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Stars My Destination :: SEV Archive :: Tips, Tactics & Information Talk-
Jump to: