The Stars My Destination

Forums for Game Night scheduling, tracking and discussion (formerly for players of Space Empires V: The Stars My Destination PBW game)

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Next West Side Game Night is TBD, Next East Side is TBD
Buckeye Game Fest September 21st - 24th
Waiting for some of you to reply to emails is like waiting for HPD to take his turn.

Share | 

Confirmed Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Confirmed Players   Wed 29 Apr 2009, 14:19

List of current confirmed players:

TheChin!
RDaneel
Fish
HighPlainsDrifter
ftarzanin
Enigma63
AdmiralBean
bearclaw
randallw

Last edited by TheChin! on Wed 27 May 2009, 12:56; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://starsmydestination.forumotion.com
bearclaw

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Thu 07 May 2009, 18:21

Hi everyone!
Been looking for a PBW game to join for a while and this one seems to fit the sort of game I'm looking for!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Thu 07 May 2009, 18:25

Well, we are pretty much noobs at multiplayer, so if you are willing to put up with some unconventional play that will probably lean more to role-play than empire optimization, then you are welcome. I looked at your history of posts over at Spaceempires.net and you seem to be an old hand so don't be too ruthless with us!
Back to top Go down
bearclaw

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Fri 08 May 2009, 12:47

LOL
At SEIV, maybe. This will make only my 3rd SEV multi-player game and only second BM game. I far prefer role play to all out war games anyway so this should be a perfect match Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
randallw

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Sun 10 May 2009, 22:58

I'd like to join if I may. Having such high settings will make a change from the usual slow start games I have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Mon 11 May 2009, 11:15

randallw wrote:
I'd like to join if I may. Having such high settings will make a change from the usual slow start games I have.

Let me be frank and honest, this is a game of players with very low experience levels (for the most part) and I am hesitant to include veteran players as they might have an advantage and make for a less enjoyable experience for new players that would cause them to not want to continue playing in the future.

Are you a min-max, optimize like crazy type of player, or more of a role-player? By that, I mean, do you create a race with a certain feel/character and play that up in diplomacy and decsion making?
Back to top Go down
randallw

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Mon 11 May 2009, 20:38

Don't worry. If you want to exclude me on the basis that I'm "too good" I won't mind Smile

I am very much a Role-Player. I always have a description for my race so others can see what they're like and then I stick with it. I am always aware of what my actions might be like to other players and never do anything which might feel unfair and make them angry, outside the confines of the game I mean. I do what I think is best for my Empire but only for my Empire, not abusing things to crush someone else with the aim to win no matter what. I had one game where I had an aim, to see how well I could do with an empire that didn't do diplomacy and didn't make friends knowing full well I'd have everyone else against me and I got into a discussion with another player who said there was no way I could win and couldn't seem to see that wasn't the point.

When I make an empire I don't try to find the best winning traits, though I have decided on a few by default, I just decide on a racial tech I haven't used for awhile so I can see what an empire with it will be like. Once I won easily what would appear to have been a killer trait and in the next game did something else for a change.

Anyway, choose for yourself. I won't hold it against you Smile

PS: Tell you what, I could be the resident expert if anyone wants advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 08:37

That's cool, I appreciate your honesty. i don't feel comfortable making the decision on my own, so let me send an email out to the current players and see if everyone is cool with it. Can you email/PM me your email address and I'll send you the verdict as soon as I hear it?

I know it seems like I am being a bit picky, but SEV is a long game and requires a pretty good investment in time and I don't want anyone to get discouraged.
Back to top Go down
randallw

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 09:39

nah it's ok. I understand it's not a normal game where anyone interested can just sign up but instead your aim is to give new people something to ease into. As I said I'm mostly interested because of the settings you chose seeing as how most games aren't so lavish. Perhaps experienced games pare down the level to equalise between players. I am somewhat apprehensive that my experience may end up overpowering and I wouldn't want people to regret letting me in. Though I am experienced I don't always become all that powerful, after all I limit myself whereas someone newer might be more powerful because they forget characterisation and only min/max.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 10:15

Gotcha. Personally, I'm of the more the merrier mindset. Really, the game has built in "balancing" that can overcome some of the experience gap. There is nothing stopping a few players from forming an in-game Alliance to contain the "Evil Empire" (i.e. you Smile ).
Back to top Go down
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 10:47

Doesn't bother me to let him in, I'd like to learn as I go, and the reality is if he comes over and beats me up first, I bet I learn how to be defensive Smile

I'm with you, the more the merrier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bearclaw

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 11:51

If it makes any differance, I've played with Randallw before (I think it was an SEIV game) and we definitly fall into the same group: favoring Role Playing over War Gaming.

which reminds me, I forgot to put the empire history in my empire!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 12:06

I believe, but I might be wrong, that you can uplaod an empire over your exisiting one. So you you should be able to edit and overwrite. I too, forgot a couple things I wanted to put in there and I will be re-uploading mine if I can.
Back to top Go down
Enigma63

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 15:33

My vote is to let RandallW in. I played with him and against him in SEIV many years ago. Good honest player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Tue 12 May 2009, 20:02

I just proved it, you can reupload your empire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hpd

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Mon 25 May 2009, 21:11

Hi all!

Im in now.

I am a total noob in this game, (well not total, I played 1/2 a game before
with Chin and Fish and Rdaneel).

I have no intention of attacking people right away. I will instead be concentrating
on making sure my ships dont run out of supplies and end up as lifeless hulks
floating in space.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players   Wed 27 May 2009, 12:24

Finally, the whipping boy has arrived!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confirmed Players