The Stars My Destination

Forums for Game Night scheduling, tracking and discussion (formerly for players of Space Empires V: The Stars My Destination PBW game)

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Next West Side Game Night is TBD, Next East Side is TBD
Buckeye Game Fest September 21st - 24th
Waiting for some of you to reply to emails is like waiting for HPD to take his turn.

Share | 

Initial Technology

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Initial Technology   Wed 29 Apr 2009, 14:45

This post is just to re-iterate for those who didn't see the earlier email string the ramification of the amount of technology points we are going to start with. Since we probably are going to start with a large amount, it is very likely that some players are going to take multiple colonizer techs. Each extra tech will give that player the ability to colonize that much faster. So you have to ask yourself during the creation of your empire, should you try to keep up with the joneses or do you max out on other tech's?

Here are my thoughts, duplicated from the email. If you don't take one or both extra tech's, you will fall behind on colonies, but start off with techincal supremacy. Your opponent(s) who take the techs will be conolizing faster than you and if they build research facilities faster than you, they may catch up to your technical edge AND have more colonies. So, unless you have some secret strategy that hasn't occured to me, I suggest taking at least one if not both non-native colony tech.

Colony techs are extremely expensive to research in game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://starsmydestination.forumotion.com
Yskonyn

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   Thu 30 Apr 2009, 10:26

Does this mean you have to select those techs already on empire creation or can you choose those techs on game start?

Could you be more specific as to which techs exactly we're talking about, for the newer players (like me)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   Thu 30 Apr 2009, 12:58

Sure, at the beginning of the game you get a colonizer tech matching the world type you chose for your empire (Ice, Rock or Gas Giant). While in the game you can research the other two types you didn't get, but they are one of the most expensive tech's to research and take years and years to acheive.

The initial technology points option allows you a number of free research points right off the bat. You can use these point to pre-research tech's in the Empire setup screen (recommended), or you can just use them on your first turn (not very efficient).

So with the large amount of points we are probably going to use, you might want to purchase at least one of the other colonizer tech's. You are probably (this goes for everyone) going to want to go to the Balance Mod website and download the Tech Tree PDF for balance mod. It can be invaluble for selecting these early techs as some techs are not available until you get other technologies first (like drones, mines, solar panels...etc).
Back to top Go down
Enigma63

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   Fri 01 May 2009, 09:50

I thought we were going with 500k research points? Is it 5 million?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   Fri 01 May 2009, 10:47

So far the voting has chosen 5 million. We definilty will be coming out of the gate with some heavy tech.
Back to top Go down
AdmiralBean

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   Thu 07 May 2009, 19:06

With the high tech, I'm assuming that we're going to run out of peoplepower to build all that fantastic technology, right?

I'm going to have to run a couple of game starts to get a feel for the right way to customize a 5,000,000 skill point race, but I'm guessing that even if you can put all the effort into building a dreadnaught, it would take your level 1 spaceport and 100m people 10 years to build it, Death Star style.

Has anyone else played very much with the 5million research point races? Any tips anyone wants to share before the beat me up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   Thu 07 May 2009, 19:52

I have never played with that much tech right off the bat, but I am thinking that the early turns are going to be almost exclusively colonizing. So, defense tech is probably better to take then offense and then let your regular research play catch up on the offensive side of the ball. You are right though, building giant ships will take forever and probably not even be used early game. You'll either spend a lot of time retrofitting them or not using them on the front line come mid-game.

Of course, you can always buy up lots of space yard tech also. Wink
Back to top Go down
TheChin!
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   Fri 08 May 2009, 11:14

I've added a link on the Game Versions thread to the BM 1.19 Tech Tree pdf. It is very useful for mapping out what you want to do woth your tech points for your initial buy. Especially if you are not familiar with the Balance Mod tech progression.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Initial Technology   

Back to top Go down

Initial Technology
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1